You might know that oatmeal is a healthy food that's filled with fiber that helps you feel full. But, there are many way to add more flavor and nutrition. Try this recipe from Ladder Nutrition Advisor Candice Kumai, which adds coconut, nut butter, and fruit to create a balanced meal.
- 1 cup amaranth (gluten-free grain, naturally!) (or try rolled oats! YUM!)
- 1 cup coconut milk beverage or almond milk
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup mixed berries (I love blueberries, strawberries & blackberries)
- 1 tablespoon local, grade A honey or agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons almond butter, natural (optional) for protein!
- 2 tablespoons 0% Greek yogurt
- flax seed meal
- In a medium saucepan, boil the two cups water and 1 cup coconut milk beverage or almond milk. When water boils, pour in the amaranth and reduce heat to a light simmer and add ¼ teaspoon sea salt. Cook for approximately 20 minutes or until a porridge-like consistency forms.
- When the amaranth is all cooked through, pour into two bowls. Top with 1 tablespoon each of the almond butter, if using, yogurt and honey. Top each bowl with your choice of mixed berries and almond/coconut milk if desired. Enjoy for a delicious fiber and protein filled power breakfast this weekend.